Filling of the Vacancy in Director District 5
With the vacancy in Director District 5 following the November 13, 2019 resignation of School Director Steven Madsen, the school board has 90 days from the day of Steve's resignation to fill the vacancy (February 11, 2020). The director selected must meet the requirements provided by law for school directors and will serve until the next regular school district election (2021). Should the school board fail to fill the vacancy, the ESD 112 board will fill the seat. These timelines and requirements are outlined in RCW 28A.343.370. *
To be eligible for appointment or election to the school board, candidates must meet the eligibility requirements outlined in RCW 28A.343.340
- They must be a citizen of the United States and the state of Washington
- They must be a registered voter of the director district
The Woodland 5th District covers the easternmost portion of the Woodland School District. It is represented in the Salmon color on the 2001 Districting map. The western boundary line of Director District 5 follows the powerlines between Little Kalama Road and Fredrickson to the top of Davis Peak, then follows Little Kalama River Road to the northern border of the school district. The map is redrawn based on census data every ten years. The board will review and approve redistricting during the 2021-2022 school year.
The recommended timeline for replacement is:
- November 25-January 17 Advertise opening and recruit applicants.
- January 20 Committee or whole board review of applicants (executive session if a quorum of the board).
- January 27 Interview candidates for the vacancy.
- February 10 Appointment and oath of office of new Director.
For school board consideration, I have prepared a DRAFT application packet for the vacant seat. This packet was patterned from a prior vacancy in 2015.
*Woodland School Board Policy 1110 addresses filling of vacancies by direct statutory reference.