To: Michael Green
From: Paul Huddleston
RE: Athletics Report
Woodland Middle School
- 8th record (1-0 league)
- 7th record (0-1 league)
- 47 athletes participating total
- 8th record (1-1 league)
- 7th record (0-2 league)
- Blended record (1-1 league)
- 30 athletes participating total
- Green record (1-1 league)
- Yellow record (1-1 league)
- 32 athletes participating total
- Like last year, our turnout was big enough to split into two equal 7/8 grade teams.
MS/HS Cross Country
- 45 athletes are participating from the high school and 11 from the middle school.
- We have our first home meet on Sept. 25
- This is our biggest turnout in program history and we have a great group of hard working athletes.
MS/HS Boys’ Golf
- Varsity record (1-0 league, 2-0 overall)
- 15 athletes are participating from the high school and 7 from the middle school
- We have a young team but they are doing well. Coach has been very encouraged with work ethic and attitudes and is looking forward to continued growth/progress with this group.
Woodland High School
- Varsity record (0-0 league, 0-2 overall)
- 50 athletes participating… we don’t have the numbers for a C team this year.
- We are very young and have no depth… most of our players are playing both ways.
- JV record (0-0 league, 0-2 overall).
- Our JV is made up mostly of freshman.
- Varsity record (0-1 league, 2-0 overall).
- 35 athletes participating… we have a 3rd team again this year!
- Our varsity has been invited to an elite tournament in Burlington on Oct. 12
- JV record (0-0 league, 0-3 overall).
- JV2 record (0-0 league, 0-2 overall).
HS Girls’ Soccer
- Varsity record (0-1 league, 4-1 overall)
- 30 athletes participating
- Varsity is off to a really hot start… playing some great soccer and team chemistry is excellent.
- JV record (0-1 league, 1-2-1 overall)
HS Dance and Cheer
- Cheer has 12 fall participants
- Their "back to school" performance was top notch. They also did a performance during half time at our first football game (vs La Center) that received great reviews.
- Dance has 10 fall participants
- Dance has performed at our back to school assembly, first home game and will perform again this Friday at halftime vs Washougal. They looked very sharp at the opening day assembly and at last Friday’s home football game.
- Remember that WHS Sports can be followed on Facebook (woodland high school athletics) and Twitter (whsbeavers) – and sports updates will also be available on our school website live feed.
- Our league also has a website: 2agshl.com
- Our fall captain training was well attended by captains from each fall sport.
- This training gives me the opportunity to build relationships with the team leaders of our programs. In addition, I share effective leadership strategies and tools with them – as well as stress the importance of them supporting their coach and their program by always putting the team first.
- We will be having our first W Club meeting this month and will be selecting officers. The W Club is a club for all varsity letter winners that focuses on our athletes having a positive impact on our school culture as well as finding ways to increase school spirit and attendance/participation at athletic events.
- The head coaches and I met this summer to continue work on our shared vision, re-define our core values and create a “brand” that we could all stand for (and behind). See attached. This is what we are about.