Regular Board Meeting on Monday, August 22, 2016Previous Next
Regular Board Meeting on Monday, August 22, 2016
- Next Board Meeting:
- Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the District Meeting Room.
- Reports to the Board:
- Business Services Report: Director Janice Watts inquired about the impact fees in Business Manager Stacy Brown’s Business Services Report and whether the City of Woodland had made a decision regarding the fees. Superintendent Michael Green stated that the City had approved the proposed rate for single family units. They approved a different formula for multi-family units that varied based on type and size. The adopted city ordinance can be found at: http://goo.gl/SGe8d0. The full Business Services Report viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5047
- Board Reports, Requests, and Comments:
- Director Matt Donald asked Superintendent Green who is responsible for maintaining the road between Woodland Primary School and the railroad tracks as the road is in need of repair. Superintendent Green informed the board that it is his understanding that the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad owns the property and is responsible.
- Director Lesa Beucher commented that she attended the lunch for newly-hired certificated staff on Friday, August 19 and found it both exciting and fun. She only had the opportunity to speak to a few of the new teachers, but all of them offered great feedback about their training week.
- Discussion Items:
- KWRL Follow-Up: KWRL Director Shannon Barnett presented a Woodland-to-Cougar Area Route Analysis to the board. He detailed information about the district’s geographic logistics versus the school bell schedules. In order to decrease the length of time students on a bus to Cougar, Barnett provided seven different options. Following discussion of the options, the board felt that using the special needs bus to transport Woodland Intermediate students to Cougar may be the best option, saving 25 minutes in travel time. Barnett stated he would investigate this option further and report his findings to Superintendent Green.
- Replacement Operations and Maintenance Levy Timeline and Process: Superintendent Green provided the board with several key levy dates and asked how they would like to handle levy planning. The directors agreed that February 14, 2017 would be the best date to hold the levy election. The consensus of the board is that they would like a recommendation for the replacement levy presented for discussion in October 2016.
Levy Timeline and Process dates viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5029
- Effective School Boards Chapter 5: The board continued their book study, discussing board evaluations and the on-boarding of new directors. The board discussed a variety of items from the chapter including holding board meetings at different locations, improvements in board meeting minute dissemination, and board directors meeting regularly to discuss other items and issues. The board, along with Superintendent Green, agreed that a day-long planning meeting will be held this winter for the directors to continue their work with the Superintendent.
Chapter 5 summary viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5025
- Action Items:
- Resolution 16-7: Authorization of Purchase of Home & Property at 2280 Lewis River Road: The board unanimously approved Resolution 16-7. Resolution viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5026
- Resolution 16-8: Authorization of a fund transfer from the general fund to capital projects fund: The board unanimously approved Resolution 16-8. This resolution transferred $30,000 from the general fund to pay for a portion of the property purchased at 2280 Lewis River Road. Resolution viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5039
- Resolution 16-9: Authorizing a fund transfer from general fund to capital projects fund (KWRL): The board unanimously approved Resolution 16-9. This resolution transferred funds contributed by all of the KWRL coop members for unfunded costs to transportation to the capital projects fund in order to pay costs for facilities improvements at the KWRL building. Resolution viewable online: http://www.woodlandschools.org/node/5040
UPCOMING BOARD MEETING
Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the District Meeting Room.