To: Michael Green
From: Paul Huddleston
Date: February 3, 2016
Re: Monthly WHS Athletics Report
HS Boys’ Basketball
- Varsity record (5-4 league, 10-7 overall)
i. Senior Hayden Huddleston was recognized as a WIAA Athlete of the Week and featured in an article in WIAA’s “Activities Matter” program.
ii. We beat Mark Morris for the first time in school history in boys’ basketball.
iii. Playoffs begin Feb. 13 – we are currently in 3rd place in League – 5 go to playoffs.
2. JV record (4-5 league, 9-7 overall)
3. JV2 record (0-5 league, 3-5 overall)
HS Girls’ Basketball
- Varsity record (6-4 league, 9-9 overall).
i. Senior Jessica Flanagan scored her 1,000th career point - a huge milestone in high school basketball.
ii. Playoffs begin Feb. 12 – we are currently in 4th place in league – 5 go to playoffs.
2. JV record (6-4 league, 12-6 overall).
- Currently 3rd place in league.
- Injuries have decimated the team… projecting 5 athletes to districts
- Our team has consistently placed top 5 in tournaments this year.
- Sub Regionals take place Feb. 6
1. They received their highest score in dance history (222) at Union on Jan. 30 with their “Alice in Wonderland” hip hop routine. The qualified for districts in two routines (Hip Hop and Pom).
- We will officially be 2A for the next four year cycle. Columbia River drops down from 3A to join our league. It will be a challenge being the 2nd smallest 2A in the state, but we’re always up for a good challenge J.
- We have chosen a new WHS Head Football Coach to recommend for hire. Mike Woodward is currently teaching and coaching at Westview High School in San Diego, California. He has family in SWW and is hoping to make his way back up here with wife and son (7th grade). Landing a head coach of his caliber is an amazing opportunity for our athletic program, school and community as a whole.